1. cheerful = happy, full of positivity, in a good mood
I’m much more cheerful after I have my morning cup of coffee.
Opposite = grumpy
2. cupful = a full cup of something
The recipe says to add a cupful of sugar.
You can also use this for other measures:
- handful = the quantity you can hold in your hand
- spoonful = the quantity in a spoon
- mouthful = the quantity you can hold in your mouth
3. faithful = staying dedicated to a person, project, or idea
Bob has been a faithful employee of this company for the past ten years.
Opposite = unfaithful
4. fruitful = producing a lot of something
Our magazine advertisements have been very fruitful – they’ve resulted in 500 new customers.
Opposite = unfruitful, unproductive
5. graceful = appearing or moving with elegance
The dancer gracefully lifted her arms.
Opposite = awkward
6. harmful = dangerous, causing problems
Smoking cigarettes has many harmful effects on your health.
Opposite = harmless
7. mindful = attentive, careful and observant
You should be mindful of how much TV you watch… if not, you could waste a lot of time.
8. painful = describes something that hurts
I just had knee surgery, so walking is very painful.
9. rightful = describes what is right, fair, proper
The police found the stolen car and returned it to its rightful owner.
Opposite: illegitimate, wrongful
10. thoughtful = characterized by lots of thought
I enjoyed the thoughtful article about politics that was published yesterday.
Note: The difference between “mindful” and “thoughtful” is that “mindful” means “paying attention,” and “thoughtful” means “thinking/considering a lot.”