Talking about the future in English
Many students use only will or going to in order to talk about the future. However, it’s very common to use the present continuous to talk about the future, in the case of arrangements that are planned:
+ I’m having dinner with friends tonight.
+ She’s meeting David at the train station tomorrow.
- He isn’t coming to the party.
- We aren’t seeing our family this weekend.
? What are you doing on Saturday?
? Is Mary arriving at 7:00 or 8:00 tomorrow morning?
You can use the present continuous for future plans with these words:
- tonight, tomorrow, this weekend
- next week/month/year
- this summer/fall/winter/spring
- on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/etc.
- next Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/etc.
Share and Enjoy