Hello students! I’m back with another tip for how to stay motivated to learn English. This tip is for you on those days when you really have low motivation and you feel lazy, and you just aren’t very interested in studying English.
When You Feel Lazy, Just Take A Baby Step
A “baby step” is a very small action.
Learning English is a BIG project that can take many years, and sometimes you just feel discouraged and lazy – you simply don’t want to study that day.
Instead of thinking, “oh man, I have to do an hour of English study, and I really don’t feel like it / don’t have time” – tell yourself you’ll just do one TINY thing.
- I’ll read in English for just 5 minutes
- I’ll watch one Espresso English video on YouTube
- I’ll listen to just one song in English and look up any words I don’t know
- I’ll learn only 5 vocabulary words or idioms
When you take a “baby step” to study English, one of two things will happen:
- After a few minutes, you’ll finish and feel like you accomplished something, even though you don’t have any more time or motivation; or
- After a few minutes, you’ll “get into it” and feel motivated to continue and study a little longer.
The hardest part is often starting! However, if you take a “baby step,” you’ll definitely learn something – and you might regain your motivation in the process.
Sometimes our lives are so busy that we don’t have time to do more than one “baby step” of learning per day. We don’t have hours and hours of free time available to study.
That’s why the lessons in my Espresso English courses are “short and sweet” – teaching you the most English in the least amount of time.
You can take free samples of all my courses. Try my lessons for yourself, and you’ll see that they’re perfect for anyone who has a busy life but still wants to learn a lot of English.
Thanks for watching, and stay tuned for motivation tip #7, which will be published on my channel in a couple days.